If you pull up your phone and do an internet search for “storage units in Berkeley,” you might feel a bit overwhelmed. How much does storage cost in Berkeley? Where are the best storage facilities located? What storage options are available? These are the questions that folks in Berkeley usually find themselves asking when they need some extra space. Well, luckily for you, we’ve got answers.
Now, Collegeboxes – the go-to college moving and storage resource backed by U-Haul – may primarily cater to students moving into UC Berkeley’s dorms, but we’ve got some serious knowledge about self-storage too. So, whether you’re a student, a long-time resident, or somewhere in between, this guide is here to give you the lowdown on Berkeley and all the storage options available to you.
About Berkeley, CA
Berkeley, California, is a vibrant city nestled on the eastern shore of the San Francisco Bay. Known for its rich history, diverse culture, and renowned academic institutions, Berkeley offers a unique blend of intellectual curiosity and artistic expression.
Berkeley is home to the prestigious University of California, Berkeley, which influences the city’s dynamic atmosphere. The university attracts scholars, students, and researchers from around the world, creating a thriving intellectual community. The campus itself is adorned with beautiful architecture and lush green spaces, where students gather to engage in lively debates or seek inspiration.
Beyond the university, Berkeley boasts a bustling downtown area filled with an eclectic mix of shops, restaurants, and cafes. Strolling along the vibrant streets, you’ll encounter a blend of independent boutiques, bookstores, and art galleries. The city’s commitment to sustainability is evident in the many eco-friendly businesses and initiatives that promote a greener lifestyle.
Types of Storage Units in Berkeley, CA
As a modern and bustling city in the Bay Area, it’s no surprise that Berkeley offers a wide range of storage options. Whether you’re a student looking for temporary storage during summer break, a resident downsizing to a smaller living space, or a business owner in need of extra inventory space, Berkeley has got you covered.
Here are some of the popular storage options you’ll find in Berkeley, CA.
- Climate Control – Climate controlled storage units are typically indoor storage units that are kept between a comfortable 65 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit. This storage feature is useful if you have any belongings that require protection from heat, high humidity, or extreme cold that you want stored.
- Car Storage – Just as the name suggests, car (or vehicle) storage is a specialty type of storage for vehicles. These are often parking spaces, either covered or uncovered, depending on the facility, dedicated to housing cars that people don’t have space for at home or only use seasonally or periodically.
- Outdoor Storage – Outdoor storage units are sort of like a shed or an extension of your garage at home; they’re enclosed rooms, often on the ground floor, and not climate controlled. On the plus side, outdoor storage units typically feature drive-up access, meaning you can drop off and pick up your items easier.
- Boat/RV Storage – Boat and RV storage are types of vehicle storage, only bigger. They’re parking spaces dedicated to those larger vehicles that may be tough to store at home (or not possible due to apartment/HOA regulations). The spaces are wider, longer, and sometimes covered with easy access.
- 24-Hour Storage – Just like most businesses, storage facilities often have business hours. If you need storage outside of business hours, be on the lookout for storage companies offering 24/7 access. This allows you to access your unit (and the stuff inside) any time, day or night, for added convenience.
How Much is a Storage Unit in Berkeley, CA?
The million-dollar question! Luckily, storage units in Berkeley aren’t actually a million dollars. You can expect to pay anywhere from $60 to $300 per month depending on their features and size.
You can expect to pay anywhere from $60 to $300 per month depending on their features and size.
If you’re looking for a smaller space with limited amenities, like a 5×5 unit without climate control options, you’ll be looking at a monthly cost of around $60 to $150. But if you want a larger unit with all the bells and whistles, say a 10×30, you might be looking at a ballpark figure of $200 to $300 per month.
These prices are approximate and may vary depending on the storage facility, location, and current market conditions. It is recommended to directly contact storage providers in Berkeley to obtain exact and current pricing information for the specific size and type of storage unit you need, as well as availability.
What Size Storage Unit Do I Need?
This of course depends on your needs. To help you figure out what could be the perfect fit, we’ve provided a breakdown of the common sizes available. Keep in mind that no two storage facilities are alike – some may offer variations or more options based on their specific layout.
- 5×5 – Great for storing a few boxes, small furniture items, or small appliances. This size unit is also great for college students storing their dorm room stuff in between semesters.
- 5×10 – Closer to a small room or larger closet in size, this storage unit is sized perfectly for keeping about a one bedroom or studio apartment’s worth of things.
- 10×10 – Good for storing larger furniture items, kitchen appliances, and a good number of boxes. This is useful for storing the contents of a one-bedroom or two-bedroom apartment.
- 10×15 – Suitable for storing the contents of a larger two-bedroom apartment or a small house. It can hold furniture, appliances, boxes, and even a vehicle.
- 10×20 – Can store the contents of a small house, including appliances, furniture, boxes, and even a vehicle. It’s also useful for storing business inventory, equipment, or vehicles.
- 10×30 – Sized for storing the contents of a three or four-bedroom house, including furniture, appliances, boxes, and vehicles. It’s commonly used during home renovations or relocations.
Storage Units Near UC Berkeley
One of the main reasons people move to Berkeley is to attend UC Berkeley. This esteemed institution boasts a student population of over 45,000, with approximately 23% of these bright minds hailing from outside the state. So, it comes as no surprise that there is a significant demand for storage options near the campus. In fact, finding available storage units near campus during the summer, when students are moving out, can be quite challenging.
If you’re looking for a simple solution, consider Collegeboxes. Our storage solutions are designed specifically for students who need storage during the summer, winter, or anytime. We pick up directly from your dorm room and move your stuff into a nearby Berkeley storage facility – you don’t lift a finger. Learn more about how our Storage and Shipping service works, then sign up for Collegeboxes today!